Susan McEwen and Jeff
This huge 5-bedroom
red brick home was originally the home
of Charles Jenkins, manager of Western
Oil Company. Later the Edward family
occupied it and Fred Edward furnished it
with exquisite rugs, brass and glass
from Persia. Mr. Edward was one of the
hundreds of drillers to open oil fields
around the world. During his stay in the
Middle East Lawrence of Arabia who
rescued him from native raids on the oil
fields befriended him.
dominates Crescent Park situated stage
center on the South end of the circle.
For an interesting
article on Dr.Mary Lee Edward click on her
One of the first Woman Doctors anywhere.
Sorry don't remeber who gave me this item
This is Les Whiting and
Gord McPhee 2 of the finest gentlemen you
will ever meet and they live at opposite
ends of the park. In this pic they are
showing the east side of the park looking
south. Les is taking a well deserved break
from cutting the parks grass. Notice the
headlights on the tractor, yes Les cuts the
grass in the dark.
Here is Les and Gord again
showing the west side of the park looking
south. This is a shot that also features one
of the signs that are featured in every park
in Petrolia. The small garden is maintained
by friends of the park.
The Barney Residence
This home was built ca.
1877. It features a very pleasing double
story bay window and graces the entrance
to Crescent Park. It also has a very
interesting Deco garage.
Van Dunn residence
A nice detail of
the Poore stairway & the beautiful newel
A closer look at
the Poore newel post lamp
I have replaced the original
Pic of this house on Emmaline st. The owner
sent this pic as an update. The owner is a
very accomplished photographer and this pic
shows a great deal of thought. Please enjoy
this pic as your editor has and see if you can
see the reasons why this pic is a
composition and not just a shot of a house.
a link to Jean-Yves Site Area
East side of Warren looking
towards the park.
West side of Warren looking
towards the park.
The Newman House
The home was built by
Henry Warren Lancey ca. 1878. It is
typical of the Italianate Villa – a low
angled roof, boxed cornices with brackets,
tall windows, ornate gingerbread on the
verandah and massive square proportions.
Built for entertaining, all the rooms are
large, well planned and airy.
The Major had
this carriage step installed on the front lawn
convenience of ladies getting on and off a
rare to see
these still in place as they were usually made
after the advent of the automobile. On the link
pic of the house above the carriage step is seen
at the extreme left.
Major Benjamin S. VanTuyl
and John H. Fairbank operated the largest
hardware store west of Toronto in the
1880s. Both, as most Petrolia pioneers,
were American expatriates who fled the USA
during the start of the Civil War. The
house is an impressive structure with
pillars forming the large frontal gallery.
Floor to ceiling windows and iron cresting
draw the eye up to accentuate height. The
heavy front door is oak and flanked by
leaded glass windows and a transom. The
home was originally furnished with
Waterford chandeliers and brass hardware.
A very interesting point about the
property is the original carriage step
made of cement with the name of VanTuyl
embossed on it, which sits on the front
lawn.It was for a lady's comfort while
stepping from a horse drawn buggy to the
Corey's of Corson Oil
This imposing home was the third home
built in Crescent Park and was the
residence of Petrolia's first Mayor George
Moncrieff.Later it became the Corey
residence. They were instrumental in
developing the marketing strategies during
the oil boom days. Mrs. Corey’s father
operated the town’s largest mercantile
store Scarsbrooks, retailing Royal Crown
Derby and Waterford crystal to its
affluent clientele. The Corey’s still run
the oil business.
The home has had extensive renovations and
still retains its original combination oil
and electric chandeliers and original
Quezel shades. This home is magnificent
and with huge rooms and an impressive
staircase. The home ranks as one of
the finest in town.
Mansion retains its original lighting.
The shower drop fixture on the left has
7.5" shades by the Quezel Art
Glass & Decorating Co.,
21/4" fitters. Quezel was named after
the bird from South America.
Bach started the company after leaving
Tiffany Studios in 1901. The
chandelier in the middle is a brass and
black iron oil, electric and candle
fixture. This magnificent chandelier has
gothic masks and rosette details. At the
front foyer is this pair of gothic
sconces. Both ceiling fixtures are pre
by the Dillons
A magnificent example of Gothic Revival
Style Architecture situated in Crescent
Park. It has steeply pitched gables capped
with finials and pendants, iron cresting
and a fine conservatory on the front with
ogee patterned panes. Henry Warren Lancey
built the home ca. 1876. The first owner
was Lemuel Cole a local Oil Baron.
The original fireplace in the front room
has carved wild roses and figural details
as well as typical Victorian Majolica
tiles and is flanked by angled windows.
The home was designated under the Heritage
Act in 1984. Lancey Hall is a favorite on
Heritage tours and the owners display
numerous antiques and local historical
The owners have restored and installed
gasoliers and other period lighting
throughout the home. Further to this the
owners smash Designation myths by
improving the home with numerous sensible
and sympathetic improvements that enhance
the homes historic and period beauty. For
more on Heritage Designation see the links
page on this website.
These are some interesting events that
were going on during the building of this
home in the spring of 1876:
1876 -July 4,
United States Centennial Celebration
1876 -November 7,
American Presidential election yields no
1876 -Thomas A.
Edison builds his first laboratory in
Menlow Park, NJ
1876 -March 10,
Alexander Graham Bell holds world's first
two-way telephone conversation with
Watson, in Boston
Bradley throws the first no-hitter in
National League history
*1876 June 25,
Custer's Last Stand - Indian Chief Crazy
Horse wins the two-hour Battle of Little
Bighorn, Montana, wiping out the army of
General George Armstrong Custer. Custer,
who led the battle against the Sioux
Indian encampment, is among the 200+
Early on January
12/2010 the only creatures stirring are deer
and Roy Sager. Right in front of Lancey Hall
Roy shot these frolicking deer. Thanx Roy
everyone liked this one!
did not have any of its original lighting.
However we have
installing Period lighting from the start.
The Dining room fixture has all
Hubbell sockets with acorn pull chains
is a Handel
trademark but there is no signature. It is
a Pan Fixture
glass 21/4” fitters.
The living room(18' X 29' ) features this
ornate Pan Fixture with champagne shades.
In the foyer is an ornate ca.1890s
electrified gasolier that has period
cut cut glass shades.
In the Conservatory is this combination
gas and electric sconce. The top
is gas and
the bottom is electric. In the late 1800s
and early 1900s these
combinations were common as electricity
was not reliable and the steam powered hydro generators were
shut down weekends and evenings, not
constant technical problems. The Petrolia
Electric Light Co.
At the top of the stairs is this 3 arm
Shower Drop Fixture with very nice
the parlor is this gasolier flex arm
sconce with a 4” fitter gas shade
lounge area of the master bedroom(15' X
29' ) has this 2 arm Shower Drop
from ca.1900. All of this lighting was
restored by the owners
In from the conservatory stands a figural
nude newellpost lamp with cranberry shade.
What is new at
an observation deck was built at the
crest of the hill looking West.The large
wall to the right will be covered with
Wisteria and Rambling Rose.
The Sager Residence
This Italianate home was
built ca. 1875 for Dr Mearns a GP and
former Petrolia mayor. For more than 40
years it was the home of the Fairbanks the
worlds oldest oil producing family. In the
lower right corner of this pic note the
original cement carriage step.The Mcphees
have done extensive renovations to the
home that opens onto Crescent Park and
with its carved window frames and ornate
bay windows it is an impressive home and a
highlight when touring the town.
McPhee's side facade
A very early
drawing of McPhee House
This was one of the last
homes built in Crescent Park ca. 1896. It
was built as the Anglican Church Manse
during the administration of the Rev.
Canon Wm. Craig. The square frame round
headed windows and large verandah typify
the Italianate style of this house. The
yellow stained glass window at the front
adds character. The interior features
simple lines. The room to the left,
once used as an office, is currently
restored to the original. Baseboards
and windows have been stripped to reveal
oak hardwood. A yellow brick wall
was discovered under a plaster wall thus
exposing the original hearth.
The rectory was built
with a sparse interior, yet features an
elaborately carved staircase that climbs
to the third floor. The Tullys have
renovated their home for the comfort of
their bed and breakfast guests.
The tasteful decoration
and period antiques are only part of the
charm of the home as Gord and Betty add
the rest with their fine friendly approach
to hosting their home, making it a
definite favorite on tours.
A fine example of Gothic Revival
Architecture with its original iron
cresting. It has been home to some
prominent Petrolians. LB Vaughn & JH
Fairbank built the first house on the site
in 1885 for Theo H. Burns. The home
burnt to the ground and the current home
was built in 1891 for GS Pitkins.
Mr. Pitkins was born in Ann Arbor,
Michigan in 1860 and studied law and was
later with Ann Arbor Savings
Bank. In 1880 he came to Petrolia as
manager of the dry goods business of LB
Vaughn. In 1881 he became a part of the
Van Tuyl & Fairbank firm as
accountant. Upon the death of Major BS Van
Tuyl, Mr. Pitkins became the manager of
the business. He was secretary and manager
of the Masonic Temple Co. incorporated in
1887, an officer in Co.A, 1st Michigan
State Troops, an officer in 27th Battalion
of Canadian Militia, instrumental in
forming the Dramatic Club. In 1888 he
married Kate Hudson of Auburn NY.
Home built ca.1896 originally
inhabitted by John Gaskill